Welcome

I am pleased to welcome you to my personal blog, which I started in March 2009. I first became interested in blogging about five years ago, using old "blogger.com", which was cumbersome to use and I never mastered. About a year ago I discovered that Google had bought "blogger.com" and had revised it considerably, making it fun to use, so much so that I have devised at least 15 blogs on various subjects and frequently add posts and Gadgets to them.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

William T. Johnson and the American Red Cross


About ten years ago I was asked to help with the local chapter of the American Red Cross. The chapter had been in existence since World War I and was then administered by a volunteer with wide experience in the Red Cross. I needed to be trained along with other volunteers, so on several nights we all went to Walton County for training in the many areas of Red Cross service, for example: Disaster Relief. The Red Cross office was in a small, crowded room upstairs in the City Hall Annex in Washington, GA. For some years the chapter had been inactive and much administrative effort was required. We were not required to serve in the blood-donation program but had occasional requests for help for home-fire victims. We attempted to arrange for public shelters for use after disasters and found it almost impossible to get sites meeting all requirements - showers, bedding, etc. We had regular meetings of the chapter and were attempting to get ready for inspection. I went to great effort to publish our plans for disaster relief and our other activities, but after a heart attack I was unable to continue. My friend Bob took my place but we eventually lost our charter and our funds to a larger chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment