Welcome

I am pleased to welcome you to my personal blog, which I started in March 2009. I first became interested in blogging about five years ago, using old "blogger.com", which was cumbersome to use and I never mastered. About a year ago I discovered that Google had bought "blogger.com" and had revised it considerably, making it fun to use, so much so that I have devised at least 15 blogs on various subjects and frequently add posts and Gadgets to them.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stanley Davis Phillips, Ambassador to Estonia


I've just watched a film about Estonia, entitled "The Singing Revolution", concerning Estonia's long history of troubles with the Nazis and the Communists. The country had no military strength and countered its problems with singing, perhaps 25,000 in a choir during singing festivals. I've been largely in the dark about the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, and only today began to be educated about them. After receiving the film from my cousin Kay Phillips I looked up other information about Estonia and found the following news article.

TALLINN, Jan 13, BNS - Commander of the Estonian defense forces Lt. Gen. Ants Laaneots decorated the outgoing US ambassador, Stanley Davis Phillips, with the Defense Forces Special Service Cross.
"In the name of the Estonian defense forces I wish to express sincere gratitude to you for your support; I also wish to thank you for cooperation between the US Armed Forces and the Estonian defense forces, Lt. Gen. Ants Laaneots Tuesday said when handing over the decoration and wishing Phillips success in his next post.
"We in the United States are very grateful to Estonia for its contribution and dedication in Iraq and Afghanistan," the outgoing ambassador said. "The time I served here has been very important for me and such a decoration given to me makes the time very special for me," Phillips said.
USA Ambassador to Estonia Stanley Davis Phillips has given a lot of support and assistance to the development of the Estonian defense forces and military cooperation with the US Armed Forces.
So thanks to his activity US support to Estonian security has significantly increased. Phillips has taken special care of Estonian soldiers wounded on missions and has ensured their treatment in the United States.
Ambassador Phillips was sworn into office in Washington DC by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on April 16. 2007. Phillips handed over his credentials to Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves on May 31 that year.
The Defense Forces Special Service Cross was established in order to recognize special and outstanding achievements in state defense by civilians and members of the defense forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment