Welcome

I am pleased to welcome you to my personal blog, which I started in March 2009. I first became interested in blogging about five years ago, using old "blogger.com", which was cumbersome to use and I never mastered. About a year ago I discovered that Google had bought "blogger.com" and had revised it considerably, making it fun to use, so much so that I have devised at least 15 blogs on various subjects and frequently add posts and Gadgets to them.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jimsie at Thanksgiving 2002



My late brother, Jimsie,shown here, was very, very fond of Model A Fords. As I remember, the first one had a career as a Coca-Cola delivery truck, then a modification to an electrical service truck used by our father and Joe Rhodes when they wired houses for Rayle Electric in 1937, then a further modification in 1946 to a stake-and-platform truck that was wonderful at moving our stuff between Washington and Clinton, SC. The second was a four-door sedan of which I helped in the refurbishing in 1946 and then borrowed a year or so later for a trip to Atlanta. I think he eventually sold each of these for about $100. The third of his A Models was a two-door 1929 model that he continually worked on while in an Atlanta Model-A Ford automobile club. He carried spare parts on their trips and I remember a visit to Washington when he changed the carburetor to make it run better. He drove me through Stone Mountain Park a couple of times. I expect it's still in the garage at his house.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! The Model-A is still in the garage at home. Daddy loved that car. Growing up, I can remember a time when he had 3 Model-As parked on the driveway (Mama wasn't too happy about that!) and I would help him work on them. We'd take the engine out of one and put it in another. I wasn't much good at working on cars (being a girl and all), but I had fun doing it with my Dad as he loved it so. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete